I put a new header on the blog today. It was a cat I spotted on a deserted Greek beach, looking as if he owned it. Perhaps he did. Not sure how successful a header it is - looks a bit large - but I loved his air of calm authority!
These pictures mostly show cherubs showing off all the latest technology - well at least it was the latest when they were made.

This is a cherub speaking into an old fashioned telephone outside Two Temple Place, a fantastic house which used to belong to the Astors, situated right on the Thames next to the Inns of Court. I plan to write a bit more about this building but click here if you want to know more facts, and go here for Katharine A's excellent description of the current exhibition, which I must say I can highly recommend. It is called "Cotton to Gold" and it showcases treasures from Northwest England museums.
There are other cherubs generating electric light,
This lady is considerably older than the cherub but as you see she holds a retort, something used by chemists, plus some books. I think she must symbolise scientific knowledge. She can be found in a glass case near the centre lifts in the Science Museum, London SW7.
She is part of a most magnificent table centrepiece made in 1870, which symbolises the importance of telegraphy in creating wealth. It was presented to Alexander Cross, Chairman of the United Kingdom Telegraph Company.
It is festooned with telegraph cables, held up by cherubs

and a couple more are busily working telegraph equipment.
If the magnificence of this centrepiece is anything to go by - it is really huge and most beautifully done, studded with semi precious stones - then the telegraph was very successful in creating wealth for the shareholders of the United Kingdom Telegraph Co!
I am always fond of cherubs and putti and rather sorry that you don't see them much on modern artwork. I can just imagine them all sitting there with their smartphones...
These pictures mostly show cherubs showing off all the latest technology - well at least it was the latest when they were made.

This is a cherub speaking into an old fashioned telephone outside Two Temple Place, a fantastic house which used to belong to the Astors, situated right on the Thames next to the Inns of Court. I plan to write a bit more about this building but click here if you want to know more facts, and go here for Katharine A's excellent description of the current exhibition, which I must say I can highly recommend. It is called "Cotton to Gold" and it showcases treasures from Northwest England museums.
There are other cherubs generating electric light,
holding up light bulbs
and listening to the other end of the telephone
This lady is considerably older than the cherub but as you see she holds a retort, something used by chemists, plus some books. I think she must symbolise scientific knowledge. She can be found in a glass case near the centre lifts in the Science Museum, London SW7.
She is part of a most magnificent table centrepiece made in 1870, which symbolises the importance of telegraphy in creating wealth. It was presented to Alexander Cross, Chairman of the United Kingdom Telegraph Company.

and a couple more are busily working telegraph equipment.
If the magnificence of this centrepiece is anything to go by - it is really huge and most beautifully done, studded with semi precious stones - then the telegraph was very successful in creating wealth for the shareholders of the United Kingdom Telegraph Co!
I am always fond of cherubs and putti and rather sorry that you don't see them much on modern artwork. I can just imagine them all sitting there with their smartphones...




0 Yorumlar