
Wreck by Fleur Ferris is a book about a girl who gets swept up in events beyond her control after finding a note washed ashore in a bottle. I thought really? A message in a bottle? But don't let that turn you off because it was actually quite good. The note that Tamara finds is apparently from a guy named Christian who went missing five years ago after the family yacht capsized. The rest of the family was recovered but Christian never was. And there have been other notes- the problem is the people who found them ended up dead.
The book starts off fast with Tamara coming home and being assaulted right off the bat, her assailant wanting to know where the note is. From there it takes off and the story is told through the POV of both Tamara and William, one of the survivors of the yacht. William believes there is a more sinister reason for why Christian was never recovered, but Tamara doesn't know any of the background and eventually their stories converge. The story is fast paced and while it doesn't break any new ground in terms of twists or surprises, I was hooked. Tamara herself is very realistic and I could relate with most of her decisions- she goes through several days of sheer terror and I thought her reactions, her grief when bad things happen, was done very well.
There's a bit of a romance but not much, and to be honest I wasn't super convinced by it, but mainly this is a chase book, a race to find the truth and I enjoyed it a lot. Tamara doesn't know who she can trust, and I love books like that. The suspense is top notch and I loved the setting. It's primarily set in Melbourne but also in Sydney and I actually ordered this one from Australia as I'm not sure this is available yet in the US.
0 Yorumlar