It is the first full week of September, and time again for Zero Waste week. I have been blogging about the annual event since 2012. Some years I have been more successful than others.
This year, I suspect we are all going to find it a little harder. The global pandemic has had some very positive 'green' results - fewer planes means less air pollution, less human traffic has allowed flora and fauna to flourish [in some areas of the UK] many people have started gardening, and growing their own foods, and others have found the benefits of cooking meals from scratch and baking their own additive-free loaves.
But there has been a HUGE amount of waste from single-use plastics - disposable masks and latex gloves, no more 'we will refill your coffee cup' deals, extra bags round our purchases - not to mention all those extra doorstep deliveries with the company's lopsided smile on the cardboard box, and the bubble wrap inside.
I shall try this week to think harder about what comes into my home, and how it is used, and then disposed of. Since last year's ZWW I have already been aware of some significant changes round the house
- I made some veg bags and these work well in the fridge, containing the produce which I have purchased loose, and not in plastic bags
- A number of the organisations who send me regular mailings are now using recyclable/compostable packing [well done Country Living and Scripture Union and others]
- I've been more diligent about 'upstairs' recycling - Bob has a large bin in his office, just for recyclables - and bedroom/bathroom stuff [loo rolls, shampoo bottles, pill boxes etc] goes in there.
- I was taking Tetrapaks to the recycling bin at the supermarket before lockdown [I must check to see if that has re-opened]
- My attempts at becoming a minimalist continue [slowly] and I am finding positive places to rehome my unwanted possessions, so that others can use them. Once again, I have to say a huge thank you to Liz, who has been a real encouragement in this matter [also Joshua Becker whose writings are much more on my wavelength than those of Bea Johnson or Marie Kondo]
- Joining the Green Living Project Group has been helpful - although we have not met in person since March, we continue to share ideas within our WhatsApp group. Thank you friends.
I was feeling a little dis-spirited when I started writing this post - but looking back, I think I'm making slow but steady progress. Maybe a week of determined effort will boost future achievements. Are you doing anything special for ZWW2020?

0 Yorumlar